Built in 1906-09, Aleston Church replaced one destroyed in the Great Town Fire of 1904. Constructed of stone dressed in marble in the Art Nouveau style with an interior incorporating Neo-Baroque and Neo-Romanesque elements.
The current Alesund Church was built after the previous one, built in 1854, was destroyed in the Great Town Fire of 1904. The foundation stone for the new church was laid by King Haakon VII (1872-1957) on the 7th July 1906 and the inauguration took place in 1909.
Located on the south side is the Tower containing three bells; there was some controversy about the tower’s construction, and it is somewhat narrower than was originally intended.
Designed in the Art Nouveau style the church is constructed of stone dressed in marble.
Internally it consists of three Naves, which can seat around 800 people.
Within the church the interior consists of Neo-Baroque, Art Nouveau elements and Neo-Romanesque round arches, which all blend beautifully.
The font is made from Italian marble. Around the church are frescoes; the ones around the altar being particularly impressive.
It also contains a number of stained-glass windows.
The glass gable windows behind the organ were a gift from the German Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941). The organ being one of the largest in Norway.
All Photographs were taken by and are copyright of Ron Gatepain