Belize
 

For information and a larger map of the country, click on the map above.
 



Sites

Altun Ha

Cahal Pech

.

 
Belize
 
Altun Ha

Altun Ha
 
Located 30 miles (50 km) north of Belize City and about 6 miles from the shore of the Caribbean Sea, Altun Ha, was first settled around 250 BC. It was around 100 AD that the construction of the buildings - which can be seen there now - were started, something which was to continue throughout the Classic period ending in the 10th century. READ MORE
 

 

 

 


San Ignacio
 
Cahal Pech
 
 
The name Cahal Pech, is a combination of Yucatecan and Mopan Maya meaning “Place of Ticks,” a name that was given to it in the 1950’s due to the surrounding area being used at that time for the grazing of cattle.  
 
Located near the town of San Ignacio in the Cayo district of Belize, Cahal Pech was first settled around 1200 BC where it was to become, during the Late Preclassic period (300 BC – 300 AD), one of the most important centres in the Belize River Valley region.  READ MORE
 
 
 

 

All  Photographs Copyright: Ron Gatepain

  Site Map