The Church of Saint Clara was built in the 17th century on the site of a former Monastery dating back to 1362. The plain exterior hides a beautiful interior containing a number of altars and the monumental Baroque altar sculptured in marble in 1708.
The church of Saint Clara was built in the 17th century on the site of a former Benedictine Monastery and is one of the few Catholic churches in Kotor. The simple exterior stone and brick building contains an apex roof and a large two-part brown entrance door, with a circular window above. The plainness of its exterior conceals the beauty of its interior.
The site has contained a monastery since 1362. This was originally a Benedictine monastery but in 1543 it was handed over to the Franciscans due to not having enough people wishing to join it. The current church was built in the 17th century.
On entering the church visitors are struck by the five altars in the one-nave church.
Above the nave is a latticed wooden ceiling with five paintings affixed to it. At the centre is a painting of St Clara with four smaller paintings of other holy people, towards each corner.
Each of the side altars is surrounded by ornate stone carvings surrounding a painting or in one case a crucifix.
Around the walls are numerous pictures of the saints and religious scenes, along with a number of statues.
At the far end is the monumental Baroque altar created by Venetian sculptor Francesco Cabianco in multicoloured marble in 1708. This holds a number of angels and prominent statues.
To either side of the altar are red marble pillars. To the rear is a large golden-coloured marble curtain which is held by two angels from above the altar.
Above the altar is a silver icon which is supported by a number of angels.
All Photographs were taken by and are copyright of Ron Gatepain