Other pages you may find of interest


Church of St Francis

Dubrovnik Cathedral

 
 
Croatia

Dubrovnik

Church of St Ignatius



St_Ignatius_Church


 

Summary

Church of St Ignatius, Dubrovnik dates back to the beginning of the 18th century and formed part of the Jesuit College which was to become the Dubrovnik University. Baroque in design it is located at the top of the large staircase leading from the city’s main thoroughfare.   Consisting of a single nave with a number of side chapels beautifully decorated with frescoes it also contains man-made caves dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes.
 


 
Located in the square at the top of a large Baroque staircase leading off from the main thoroughfare of Dubrovnik is the Dubrovnik University Collegium Ragusnium building and the Church of St Ignatius. 

The church dates from the beginning of the 18th century and formed part of the project for the construction of a Jesuit college.  This was originally planned in 1653 and the project involved the demolition of a number of houses, something that had begun when the Great Earthquake of 1667 halted the work, work that was suspended until the close of the century. In 1699 the Jesuit architect and painter Iganzio Pozzo was appointed to design the church, the plans of which were completed in 1702. Construction was to take until 1725 when the building was completed.

Baroque in design the church consists of a single nave with a number of side chapels. It contains a semi-circular apse containing frescoes depicting the life of St. Ignatius de Loyol (1491-1556), the founder of the Jesuit order. These were painted by Gaetano Garcia, an Italian Baroque painter of Spanish origin. 

Next to this Church is a large building which was constructed for the Dubrovnik University, this is the Collegium Ragusnium. The design of this emphasises the Baroque front façade of the church. On the façade are some beautiful pieces of art created by Gaetano Garcia, the Italian artist who came originally from Spain. 

The interior of the church consists of a single nave with side chapels and a semi-circular apse which contains some beautiful Baroque frescoes depicting the life of St. Ignacio Loyole (1491-1556), the founder of the Jesuit monastic order which was approved as a Roman Catholic religious order in 1540. These frescoes were also produced also by Gaetano Garcia. Also, in the church at the rear on the right-hand side by the door is a set of man-made caves that were made in 1885.  These contains a statue of Our Lady of Lourdes to whom the caves were dedicated.

The church belfry contains the oldest bell in Dubrovnik which was cast in 1355. 

 


St_Ignatius_Church_AltarSt_Ignatius_Church_Chapel_and_Cave
                  Main Altar                 Side Chapel and Man-made cave


St_Ignatius_Church_Main_AltarSt_Ignatius_Church_Chapel2  St_Ignatius_Church_Chapel1
Main Altar and Frescoes                                                                         Side chapels                                                                                               

 

 

Copyright - All  Photographs copyright Ron Gatepain

  Site Map