Dubrovnik Cathedral was built between 1673 and 1713 on the site of previous cathedrals dating back to the 7th century, one of which, Richard the Lionheart is said to have financed. Having suffered slight damage during the Siege of Dubrovnik in October 1991 to May 1992 the cathedral was repaired and displays many paintings and works of art.
Dubrovnik Cathedral is officially known as the Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, and dates back to the 12th century, although the remains of former cathedrals dating back to the 7th century have been found beneath the current one. Richard the Lionheart is said to have provided the money for its construction as a way of thanking God for his survival following his being shipwrecked off Dubrovnik in 1192 on his return from the Third Crusade. The current cathedral was built between 1673 and 1713, following the previous cathedral’s destruction in an earthquake in 1667.
The cathedral suffered slight damaged during the Siege of Dubrovnik (1 October 1991 – 31 May 1992) during the Croatian War of Independence: The damage has subsequently been repaired.
The design of the cathedral consists of a domed three naves building. The main door of the front facade is flanked by four Corinthian columns. Situated over the door is a large Baroque window with a triangular gable and a balustrade with statues of saints. Either side are deep niches which contain a statue of Saint Blaise – the patron saint of Dubrovnik - and a statue of Joseph with Child. The sides of the cathedral are plain, but contain pillars and semi-circular windows.
Inside the building is a high nave, containing two aisles, with large columns. The cathedral has three apses and a Baroque dome at the intersection of the nave and the transepts. It also contains a number of altars.
The main altar holds a polyptych (a painting, typically an altarpiece, consisting of more than three leaves or panels joined by hinges or folds.) by Titian, portraying a version of the Assumption of the Virgin. Dating from around 1552, it was moved to the cathedral from the church of St. Lazarus, which was also devastated in the earthquake, to its current place in the Cathedral.
The side altars hold paintings of Italian and Dalmatian masters of later centuries. The altar of St. John is made from purple marble in Nordic-Baroque style. The votive altar of Our Lady of the Port was used by seamen and their families who commonly prayed at the altar and left jewellery as an offering to keep them safe whilst at sea. A collection of coral jewellery can still be seen, as coral jewellery was produced in the time of the Dubrovnik Republic.
The Altar of "Petilovrijenci" is dedicated to three Montenegro martyr saints whose bones were brought from Montenegro to Dubrovnik. Originally their remains have been kept in the Church of Petilovrijenci but the church had been badly damaged in the Great Earthquake of 1667. The relics were brought as an attraction to encourage pilgrims to come to Dubrovnik.
The Treasury of Dubrovnik Cathedral was, prior to the Great earthquake of 1667, one of the richest on the Adriatic coast. Many items were saved, and these include sacral dishes from 13th to 18th century, a number of paintings of extraordinary value, from the Romanesque-Byzantine icon of the Virgin with Child from the 13th century to the paintings by Padovanini, Palma il Giovane, Savoldo, Parmigianino, P. Bordone and others, and the head, the arm and leg of St. Blaise.
To see more photographs and take a virtual tour of the site click on the photoshow below.
All Photographs were taken by and are copyright of Ron Gatepain